9.12.2008

How Have I Struggled?


We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;
Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;
Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

Corinthians 4:8-10

This morning my devotional included the fully loaded question of "How have I struggled?"

Honestly, I think I would rather have skipped this question. Seriously! This was a lot to process, nevermind at 6:30 in the morning! I would have preferred to answer with the obvious or vague responses like financially, to be a good mom, etc... But I persevered and came up with a rather lengthy, emotional list of struggles. Everything from medical/health issues in my family to being a good steward of my time.

Don't be discouraged as you think of your own struggles! And I do encourage you to actually write out your list. There was a point behind this potent question. 

"Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

M. Scott Peck

My struggles are small compared to the God I serve who waits for me in glory. 
In the meantime He uses the struggles to shape and mold me into His image. The continual refining fire. 

God also uses these struggles to remind me how powerful He is. He blesses my family and me through our struggles. Many times He has blessed us in the midst of struggle. We then acknowledge how good He is to provide for our every need.

My struggles are also used to encourage others as I share my testimony with those I meet. 
Just recently I've met Mom's who are dealing with children who have the same health issues as my little B. I'm able to share research, doctor recommendations, and most of all encouragement with them.

If I had never endured the struggles I have, I wouldn't be the person I am. 
Now that is a reason to rejoice in struggles!



 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I've really seen God working through the things Dave and I have struggled with and I'm starting to appreciate struggle more knowing that there is something good to come from everyone.